SketchUp is a Computer Graphics software program widely used within the realms of architectural designing, CAD and 3D modelling. Civil and mechanical engineers, interior designers and film and video game creators actively use this software to deliver prolific results. It comes in a paid version, also known as Sketchup Pro, and acts as an important 3D assistant to anyone wishing to convey a design or idea.
In these past five years, this software underwent several updates and currently comprises of a wide palate of features. Here is a quick rundown which highlights the evolution of Sketchup:
HISTORY: THE BEGINNING
@Last Software was the original developer of this tool, which was introduced for leading 3D Designers, Architects, and Filmmakers. It gave the users a flexibility to “draw the way they want”. They were acquired by Google in 2006 with a purpose of creating a “plug-in” for Google Earth, and enable the “geo-locate” option for models.
Since then, Google released version 6, different updates for this version till March 2010. Version 7 saw several dynamic upgrades such as Component Browser integrated with Google 3D Warehouse, LayOut 2 etc. in order to make designing easy. Released September 1st, 2010, Sketchup 8 is currently the preferred choice. It came up with an integrated platform comprising of model geo-location, Building Maker and Google Maps.
ACQUISITION BY TRIMBLE
Trimble Navigation stepped up and acquired SketchUp in 2012, and released a new 2013 version. It comprised of salient features such as Extension Warehouse, extensions and hosted plugins.
SKETCHUP PRO: 2017
Major improvements have been made in the latest version of 2017, which has also helped users enhance their performance. The next-Gen Graphics Pipeline 2.0 enables the user to develop images on 3D Warehouse, Trimble Connect, my.SketchUp, Sketchup Mobile Viewer, LayOut etc.
2017 version is said to be the smartest SketchUp ever! Apart from above mentioned Graphics Pipeline 2.0 update, here are some new improved features which make SketchUp Pro a preferred choice:
- Transparency: Rendering models and frames on high-quality interface becomes easy and proposes a clear, transparent look. It enables user to explore numerous layers and opacity levels through X-Ray mode.
- Tables: This tool helps the user to manage LayOut spreadsheets. Prepare a Table, import Excel or a .CSV file, edit text, modify columns and rows or style cells- just a single click!
- Drawing Tools: Various add-ons are introduced in the latest version:
- High DPI Modelling
- Smart Offset 2.0 to avoid geometrical overlapping
- Arrow-key axis lock for rectangles
- Perpendicular face inference
- Colour Customization: Feel free to explore advanced palate settings and colour adjustments in this latest version. It also displays axes and tangent inferences.
- Persistent IDs: Any change in your SketchUp model will be reflected instantly and highlight every step smartly.
- Content Availability: Users don’t have to travel to the other end to copy any content. Instead, it is made available on the software panel.
- Extension Manager: This feature offers a one-look view and enables to toggle on and off customised tools or uninstall them. It also highlights an extension’s “Digital Signature” for quality approach.
Developing detailed models has now become easy!
To enquire about competitive SketchUp Pro software sales and training programs suit you or your company, feel free to contact us